I came across an inspiring article last year, “Nurse reveals the top 5 regrets people make on their deathbed.” I came across the headline today but when I thought about it, I couldn’t remember any of the regrets from the article.
The top 5 regrets from the article:
- I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
- I wish I didn’t work so hard.
- I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
- I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
- I wish that I had let myself be happier.
I can relate to the items on this list. That’s the awesome thing about this article, we don’t have to wait until we’re on our deathbeds to feel regret, we can feel it right now! For the sake of enjoying a more full life.
Some people don’t have a problem expressing their thoughts and feelings. I admire those people. But not the ones who do it without having respect for others. You know who I’m talking about.
I’m on board with staying in touch with friends. Earlier today I read the article “3 WARNING Signs of a Bad Friend” and my takeaway was that it’s important to not be a crappy friend and to not tolerate crappy friends.
I’m down with letting myself be happier. I’ve had the thought that if I’m too happy, then something “bad” will happen. Then the counter thought is that “bad” things eventually happen anyway, so might as well be happy right now.
If I were to rewrite the regrets as bite size reminders, they would be:
- Honor your dreams
- Simplify your life to work less
- Express yourself
- Spend time with the friendlies
- Be happy